Nov 24, 2010

Be Thanksgiving

Well Thanksgiving is once again upon us and I find myself more in a
state of sorrow than happiness this year. Don't get me wrong, it is not
due to lack of blessings….because God's hand has definitely been evident
in the life of my family this year, however, I just feel God calling me
to something more this time around. It is great to be thankful, but if
we are called to be in the image of Christ, then we have to ask
ourselves – How am I being someone else's Thanksgiving??? Another
words, are my actions such that glory is being brought to God?

Let me elaborate a bit here: As I mentioned before I have been reading,
"The Hole in Gospel" by Richard Stern (yes I am a slow reader), and it
has hit home how much I have been missing the mark when it comes to
Gospel fulfillment. See in Luke 4:14-19, Christ stands before the
synagogue and states what He is there to fulfill, and it is far more
than basic discipleship and general evangelism. Christ proclaims His
fulfillment of the following: "to preach good news to the poor….proclaim
freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to
release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

So if I are in His image, then how do I fulfill this as well????


Then an answer arrived. Out of the blue, without request and from only
one source I can think of. A World Vision catalog (Richard Stern is the
President of World Vision). When I purchased "The Hole in the Gospel"
book, I didn't sign up for anything, put my name down on anything, and
it was done locally in a store. So for this catalog to show up while I
am reading this book and with everything else going on, it just struck
me at the core of my being.

For those of you not aware of what I am talking about – World Vision
catalogs are one of the most interesting contribution catalogs I have
ever had the pleasure to read. In it you don't simply sponsor a child,
or just give money…..no. In it you can purchase a cow, goat, rabbit,
water well, medicine etc. for a family in need. My family and I found
this amazing. We see so many things out there asking for support and
this has been one of the first that really hit home for us.

So as Thanksgiving approaches and we begin to give thanks for financial
blessing, success at work, the health and well-being of our family….the
sorrow sets in as I begin to think of all the little things I take for
granted that others don't have. Clean water to drink, medicine when
illness strikes, or simply food to eat. But the difference I see this
year is that, what I choose to do now can be someone's Thanksgiving next
year. Would you prayerfully consider being someone's Thanksgiving as
well?

My Prayer:
"God give me eyes to see as you see, a heart to feel for others as you
do, and the passion to follow through. Lord thank you for all that you
have giving me and your constant blessings in my life. Teach me how to
share in abundance, and be content with your will. Guide me in using
your blessings and gifts to glorify your kingdom. Forever and ever –
AMEN!"

No comments: