Sep 1, 2010

Cruise Control

Did any of you look up this morning and see that sky? I hope so.

Well today is Sept 1st my oldest Sons B-Day. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHAUN!!!! He is now 13 years old and boy does this terrify me. He is a great kid with a sound head on his shoulders, but I keep waiting for the bomb to drop. I see all my friends and the wonderful experiences they have with their teenagers and wonder when the fun will begin. Remembering back to before he was born, I hear me and my wife discussing parenting styles and proclaiming how we will never be likethose parents, and that our kids will be so much better.blah, blah, blah. 5 kids later - I will never, ever, ever ridicule another parent again and laugh at others when they do. This is simply because it is not easy; it is a challenge; and at times a lot of fun.

However, it too can be is also painful; sometimes scaring; and not always roses and rainbows. For example - the first time your little one says they dont love you; You may keep a stern face, but deep down inside your heart breaks. Or when your child is in pain and you cant help them overcome it. Or when you go all out to make something special for them and they either toss it to the side or keep asking for more. So how do we do it?

We must give it over to God.

So many times in my life, whether it be with my kids, other ministries, or other projects I have thought to myself that God has given me a brain for a reason and I can figure this all out on my own. Well after several failing projects, ministries that didnt go where I thought they should, and nights wondering about my childrens development and spiritual growth, I have to say that stepping back and letting God be my cruise control is the best answer. Still at times, like speeding down 95 when there is no traffic, I want to take control and just go for it. But most often I find myself ending up behind slower vehicles frustrated because they wont let me go at my pace or do things my way. God however, just wants us to let go. Stop trying to be in charge (like a teenager) and realize that He is. Trust in Him and believe that He has our best interests in mind. Humble yourselves therefore under Gods mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares about you! - 1 Peter 5:6.

Now that I am getting to relive my teenage years under Gods mighty hand, I find it more fulfilling to just let go.not try to be in charge and stop all the rebelling. I only wish I would have gotten this 20 years ago, it would have been a lot easier on both my parents and I. Finally, I pray that my son starts picking up on this now rather than later, both in his relationship with me and more importantly in his relationship with his heavenly father.

So here comes the tough questions - Have you been acting like a teenager toward God and not just putting life on Cruise Control? If not, what can you prayerfully give over to Him today that will allow you to set back a just cruise for a while?

Todays Prayer:

God help me to just let go, to give it all over to you, and realize that you are ultimately in control. Lord help me not to think higher of my self than I ought. Give me wisdom and discernment to see you mighty hand as it guides me through life. Praise your holy name and thank you for your grace. AMEN

Mitch

No comments: