Sep 17, 2010

Blind Side

Our pastor started a new series last Sunday entitled Blind Side. During
the opening of his presentation we listened intently as Sandra Bullock
narrated the start of the movie titled by the same name. She walked us
through Joe Theismann's career ending play, where he suffered a compound
fracture, brought on when he was hit blind-sided by Lawrence Taylor.
The story goes on to outline how important it is to have a strong left
tackle and how vital their role is in protecting the QB.

My wife is my left tackle. She is awesome at what she does, and I love
her "more than my arms can stretch". She doesn't get paid at all what
she is worth, but she does the job regardless. I say she is my left
tackle (especially spiritually) because she sees what I don't. When I
mess up in my day to day walk with God, she sees it even if I don't.
When God is saying run this play and I decide to do it my own way, she
lets me know. This weekend was no different.


See my wife asked a simple little question. And openly I admit, that
little question made me quite a bit mad. She asked with compassion and
love(loosely quoted), "have you put quite as much time into discipling
your boys as you have in standing up a blog for Morning Fruit." As I
mentioned, my instant response was anger and I would think after walking
with the Lord for a bit now, that I would realize that these kind of
responses are usually indicative of His conviction…..but I am sad to say
I missed it. After about an hour it sunk in and I realized she was
right. Boy did that hurt, it was like being blind-sided and she (my
left tackle) made me aware of what I was not seeing.

See I thought that going through life doing my quite times, being in
ministry and trying to set a good example for my kids was enough. But,
then I thought…..how many times do they see me do quite time - since it
is usually early in the morning or after they go to bed. In ministry -
they were not always in my classes or involved in what I was doing. And
as for doing one on one - I was always waiting for that perfect moment
or the perfect plan….sadly the perfect time or plan never came. So
prayerfully, I sought a solution from God and last week it began. I
started by putting my two youngest boys to bed and reading to them.
Then I went up stairs and kneeling with my son by his bed we began a
journey. We opened his bible, said a little prayer and read a chapter
from the book of Jonah, closed in prayer and he fell asleep. Since that
first day, we have done the same each night (with one skip because he
was too tired) and I have to say I have been on cloud nine. Not one
single ministry has given me such fire, such since of hope, as those few
nights. Never have I looked so forward to something as I have in this
simple process. No perfect plan, no perfect moment, just some time
sharing the Lord with my son.

19Jesus gave them this answer: "I tell you the truth, the Son can do
nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing,
because whatever the Father does the Son also does. 20For the Father
loves the Son and shows him all he does."

All this simply because my wife made me aware of my blind-side. What is
your blind-side? Prayerfully consider that today. Ask God to show you
your blind spots, ask those to whom you are accountable where you're
falling short…BUT be prepared for some tough answers. Left tackles have
a tough job, but I love them for what they do. We have to respect that
and listen to their sound wisdom.

I love you Linda, and thanks for being MY left tackle.

No comments: